“Concrete,
Request A
Free Quote
REQUEST NOW

Stay Connected

Ace Asphalt Maintenance Blog

Interesting Facts You May Not Know About Asphalt

Champs Elysees
Ask a group of 5-year-olds what asphalt is and you’re sure to get a hodgepodge of interesting responses: That black stuff that Daddy likes to drive really fast on. Or, Mommy told me not to say bad words. Or the most probable response, I don’t know.

Like those 5-year-olds, many people don’t really know what asphalt is…and that’s okay. That’s why Ace Asphalt exists: to educate you on asphalt pavements and provide solutions to help you keep yours around for a long time.

Here are some interesting facts you may not know about asphalt:

  • Asphalt pavements are America’s most recycled product. According to a recent survey by the National Asphalt Pavement Association, the asphalt industry recycles asphalt pavements at a rate of over 99%.
  • Of the 2.27 million miles of paved roads in the U.S., 94% is surfaced with asphalt, including 65% of our interstate highways.
  • The first road use of asphalt occurred in 1824, when asphalt blocks were placed on the Champs-Élysées in Paris, France.
  • Asphalt derives its name from the black, sticky, viscous liquid (also known as bitumen) used as the primary binding agent in the mixture. When mixed with mineral aggregate, this asphaltic concrete, when laid and compacted upon a subgrade foundation and a base course of crushed stone or similar material, creates the pavement surface which we walk and drive on.
  • Oil (or liquid asphalt) makes up only 5% of the asphalt pavement material. The other 95% is aggregate.
  • On average, asphalt pavement surfaces experience only a 40% drop in condition quality during the first 75% of a pavement’s life. Since the cost of preservation is low during this time, having a preventive maintenance plan from the start results in a more cost-effective, longer-lasting surface.
  • And in case you are curious as to its preservative qualities, asphalt has even been linked to the mummification process used during ancient Egyptian dynasties.

As always, if you have any questions or concerns regarding your asphalt surfaces, please contact us to request a free evaluation!

ACE Asphalt is a full service asphalt maintenance, repair, and paving company with offices in Phoenix, Tucson, and Flagstaff, Arizona, Las Vegas, Nevada, Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Dallas,Texas. Ace serves the parking lot repair, maintenance, and paving needs of property managers, building owners, and contractors.

Comments
(2) responses to "Interesting Facts You May Not Know About Asphalt"
Cheryl Smith says: 22-Oct-2015 12:54 PM
I didn't know that 99% of asphalt pavement is recycled. I am glad they have a way to do this. Recycling is such an important part of sustaining what we have. Hopefully, we can continue to do what we can.
Carly says: 25-Mar-2016 10:27 AM
This is actually very interesting! Thanks for the info
Post a Comment
* Required Field
Captcha Image
x